A Tragedy in our Neighborhood

March 3, 2002 - 3:30 a.m.


The phone startled us awake. Our next-door neighbors were calling to tell us the house across the street was on fire. We rushed to the window and saw the huge blaze that firefighters had evidently been battling for quite some time. We bundled up and stood outside for a while, watching the tragedy. It felt bitter-cold. We were experiencing one of our rare cold spells - about 29 degrees with a wind-chill factor of around 9 degrees! 

By daylight, there was nothing left of the house except parts of the roof and the brick facade. Looking through the front door, we saw nothing but sky in the background.

The owners of the house got out in plenty of time, I was told. The fire apparently started from a heater in a back room. This is a wakeup for all of us to make sure our smoke alarms are working properly.

Photos: copyright 2002 - Dottie Atwater